Monday, April 25, 2011

Challenge #7

Favorite Movies

Favorite movies huh?
I watch so many and have so many that I like that a favorite may be hard to pin point.

Perhaps I can do this by genre, at least I can try.

Movie from the past.. an 'old movie'.. the classics:
There are so many I've seen and enjoyed, and so many are now being re-made and the best part of all these great classics are being lost in the 'newness' of it all.
So I shall pick one that has not been re done that I'm aware of... and that would be The Party with Peter Sellers.  Mr. Sellers is just so clever and this movie makes me laugh every time.  Besides it brings back memories of watching this with my dad as a little girl.


Horror:
I love horror movies.. however it is very hard to find one that is good and scary and doesn't have a stupid Hollywood ending.  I actually enjoyed the first Paranormal Activity..I found it clever knowing what the budget was and how it was filmed. What dumped it to be even put on a list of my favorites was the fact that big names got their hands on this and insisted the ending change, but the ending was stupid ruining the entire movie for me. So although I mention it, it is not a favorite.
In order to find my all time favorite horror you would have to go back many years.  The one movie that scared me the most would have been the original Black Christmas ... and make note, it has to be the original.  The newer version was a joke.
Saying this I have not actually watched the original version since I was about 14 years old.  Not because I think it would scare me, I doubt that now... in fact it's probably just as bad as the new one.  But I don't want to ruin that great feeling I had of being scared shitless... let's just keep that great memory alive without ruining it and finding out the movie is actually crap.

Sci-Fi :
Well.. duh... Star Wars!
However not the 3 newer installments.. especially Episode 3 (blech.. way too much lovely dove shit for me).. nope.. the only three worth watching (in my opinion)  Star Wars, A New Hope  The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi
I do want to mention one other movie though... I thought it was well done, the script pretty good... but again one of my biggest complaints.. it had a Hollywood ending.. so I can't actually say it is a favorite, but it does have to be mentioned War of the Worlds... (stupid, dumb ending however)

Romantic Comedy: 
 A tough one for me.. there are so many... but I really did enjoy Serendipity, who wouldn't want to meet the love of your life this way?  However both You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle were wonderful feel good movies with Meg and Tom who work so well together. 

Twisted love: 
 I have no other way to describe this.. it is one of my favorites and don't know where to put it or how to label it.  Dangerous Liasons.  I don't know why but I find John Maklovich to be extremely sexy in this role.. and yet he is the most un sexiest man I know in Hollywood.  The story line is twisted and almost evil.. a part of me which enjoys this very much.

Romantic (not so comedy): Chocolate is a great movie that I can watch over an over.. not too smooshy kissy soppy over the top love story stuff going on here.. besides it has Johnny Depp in it .. sigh... oh, and Judi Dench who is an incredible actor too

Action Thriller:
I am going to have to say Sherlock Holmes here.. we own the movie and we keep putting it on regularly to watch.. feel like my kids when they were little when they re-watched a Disney movie over and over.  Is it because it is a good movie or do I just enjoy watching  Robert Downey Jr.???  I think it is clever, with a great story line.. and I think if you like the Sherlock Holmes stories then it helps to like it even further.

Suspense:
I was sitting here thinking of all the new movies I've seen lately and what I would put in the top spot.. and I kept coming back to an older 'classic'  So my top pick for this category would have to be Rear Window with James Stewart and Grace Kelly.  I've seen it too many times to count, yet I still get all anxious when Grace Kelly heads across to the apartment to investigate.  And who doesn't like Grace Kelly besides???

Musical:
Hmm... nope.. I can't do this one... I love them all.
the Producers.. makes me laugh every time.. I love LOVE Nathan Lane in this, he kills me.
Chicago... done extremely well.. and everyone did an incredible job.
and who doesn't like Sound of Music? Or Mary Poppins?
I love musicals... I could keep on going here... so I'll stop with these four.

Comedy:
Another extremely hard one.. very hard actually... I love all comedies.. even if they are stupid.
Top on my list would have to be To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmare.. a role that Patrick Swazye did that is seriously overlooked.  I think it is his best role ever actually.  And if you have never seen this movie.. then it is something you need to do this weekend!!! 
I also have to add Planes, Trains and Automobiles .. the best comedies are ones that make fun of ourselves and to me this one works for everyone.

Western:
Hands down it has always been The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly... don't know why... just is.
However that said I really like Tomb Stone There are some pretty classic lines from Val Kilmer done in this movie that cannot be overlooked.

Super heroes:

Batman is my ultimate favorite super hero.. has been since I was old enough to walk.  However I loved the latest installment in the series and look forward to the next one.

Bond movies, we always are up for James Bond.. suppose my favorite one so far is Quantum of Solace not 100% sure why, possibly because I feel it was a good.. beginning.. and of course I love looking into Daniel Craigs eyes... and Mathiew Amalric was one of the best villains in my opinion.

You know... I could keep going.. on and on and on.. if you knew me and how much we watch movies in this house you would know that it is near impossible to pick a favorite.

Just talking about the movies above reminds me of others that I've enjoyed.

For example.. another movie, the Diving Bell and the Butterfly, if you have not seen this.. then do!!! Amazingly wonderful.  Well done incredible.. loved it.. etc. etc. etc.
Daniel Craig was in a movie called, Defiance that is worthy of watching.
And two more notables that I will end my list with are The Englishman Who went up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain and Waking Ned Devine

No comments: