Sunday, March 4, 2012

Self Discovery

I had a bug put in my ear yesterday.

A bug that has wormed its way into my very soul.
It's all I can think about.

http://www.thepercy.com/race-info

100 mile Skijour race up in the Yukon.

100 miles... I've only ever run 4 miles at a time so far.... and here I am looking at 100.
Two other lady musher friends of mine are seriously looking at this making us a team of three crazies.
Being realistic and all (haha) we are thinking of doing the race in 2014 which gives us 2 years from now.

I will have to dig deep for this.

Plans include;

A complete dietary change for myself which I have been working on this last couple of months anyway, so it wont be a big deal.   It is also a way of eating/living that has been done in my life before so it should not be too hard to slip back.

A dietary over-haul for the dogs meaning tons of reading for me as I research what would be best for my fur babies.

Training regime to include weights. This totally excites me as I've seriously missed this in my life lately, and am looking forward to bringing it back.
Cardio big time. I would like to work toward running a 10 or 5K race in July, and who knows a 1/2 marathon next year?

Running dogs every chance I have.  The training will focus on the puppies as that is likely who will come with me on this adventure, but of course all the dogs will be included.
We will continue our daily morning walks.
Run on snow with the sled or skis for the rest of this winter (yeah, what winter?) as much as possible.
Dog park on the weekends for our socialization.
Scooter runs as soon as the ice leaves.
Carnicross the puppies every night, again, as soon as the ice leaves.
Then of course, fall training and WINTER!!

I've already started my research into either purchasing or building a Pulk, and working out a new boot system.  Something warmer than I have now.
New skis will most likely be in my future as will warm weather gear.. well that is obvious as I plan to lose a ton of weight over this next year so I have no choice but to be re-fitted.

Just re-read my above list and have to laugh. What else can I do but laugh? The only thing I am ready for at this point is that I have the sleeping gear.

So.

1. I must acquire money.   Lots of it.   Which means a super duper summer job better come my way.
2. Get my butt in gear and get moving.
3. Money, I need money.
4. Get the dogs butts in gear and get them moving.
5. Money.. oh, did I mention that already?  Yes, well I need lots of it.

Money for gear, food for dogs, gas money to get to the Yukon (and money for vehicle expenses).
Money for lost work time in order to get there, race, then get back home.
Money for incidentals... I said gear already... but, you know things like socks, booties, foot creams, treats for dogs.
Money for registration for that particular race, and all the other races we will and need to attend for experience.. including the road races I want to enter to get in shape.
Money for gym membership, running shoes etc. etc. etc. etc.

etc.
etc.
etc.

sigh.

I need to either win the lottery or have a very rich friend who will sponsor me.
Since I wont have either, I guess I better start looking for that perfect summer job.

3 comments:

ainnirbard said...

That's exciting! You can do it!!

Rochelle Byiers said...

I'm gonna try my darndest!

Inspiring Quotes said...

Sound interesting!!! I am looking forward to you to do such exciting job. Best of luck.