Monday, October 11, 2010

What I am MOST Thankful for

Being that it is Thanksgiving and all I have been thinking a lot of what I'm thankful for.

The list is endless... from the small and obvious.. like being thankful for my thumbs to the roof over my head and the food in my cupboards.. to my family and friends and good health.

There are not many things I am not thankful for... apart from mice in my house and spiders that have moved indoors for the winter I cannot think of much to not be thankful for.
I am one lucky 'dudette' that is for sure.
Sure I could use money in my bank account... a working car would be nice... new glasses to see better would be a bonus too... but these are all material things that one day I will have... or not... whatever.

In all this thankfulness thinkings I started reflecting on my life and what I've had to be thankful for over the years.
And the memories came flooding back.... my brain, my dreams began reminicing the past.... Faces and names pouring in making me smile and feel sad all at once.
It opened up my endless list of thankfulls and created more to be thankful for that it almost became overwhelming.
So I wondered.. what am I MOST thankful for.  It was hard, but this is what I discovered about me.

1. If it were not for the medical breakthroughs available in our modern world I would not be here today.  Neither would my daughter for that matter.... we would have never made it through the birthing experience... and IF we had then it is most definite my son wouldn't be here today.
I am MOST thankful for the miracles of modern science, the doctors and nurses.  Because of them I am still here and have just spent the last 22 1/2 years in the company of 2 beautiful children.

2. My patience... I am most grateful for this attribute... without it I don't think I could have survived normal family life..... I LOVE my family, but you must admit I grew up in a very eccentric household (who hasn't), the trials of life consumed our family... then I had teenagers... and owned a business made up of teenage staff... I now own 5 dogs... should I go on?  Without patience there are events within my life that would have overwhelmed me.

3.  Creativity... I love the 'difference' that is my family.. how I grew up and how I've raised my own family.   I do not enjoy being like everyone else.  My house screams creativity (my excuse for a messy house), I like that we (my family) want to explore and try new things .... singing Indian Raga's, Dreds in the hair, Wearing lime green suits to Grad, dog sledding as a hobby... shall I go on?

4. Family.... this tops my list of what to be thankful for.... always.... and lately I've become aware of family from all over the world.  I would love to connect and re-connect with them all.  Which brings me to being thankful for Facebook. A source that has made it amazingly easy to connect with family and stay connected....

5. Bringing me to Friends... I am blessed to have so many, from so many areas of my life.  Each and every friend means so much to me.
I have friends from the young age of 15 to 80.
I have friends whom I've known since I was 8 and friends who I've actually never even met, yet talk to almost daily on facebook.
I need to have many friends in my life... it is what makes me who I am.

AND all of this brings me back to #1.

Modern Science.... without it I would not be here to enjoy any of what life has to offer... and for that I am most thankful for.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Quite possibly the best set of things to be thankful for that I have ever read.