Monday, September 24, 2012

Attending a Sled Dog Seminar

OR
Attending a Meeting with Other Dog Nutty People

OR
10 Things I Learned This Weekend

The Gateway Sled Dog Club (Canadian Challenge) in Prince Albert hosted a Vet Education Seminar aimed at Sled Dogs this weekend.
Prince Albert Saskatchewan, an 8 hour drive North East for us.

A long drive for a 1 day seminar.  A drive of nothing but wide open going on forever fields of wheat.

It was totally worth it.

I was able to meet others who were as invested in their dogs as I was, most of whom had years of experience under their belts.    Ask questions and learn.
I love learning and when it comes to my dogs you can bet I was in my happy place.

Meeting Bart DeMarie and listening to his stories from the Yukon Quest Trail was an hour that could have been all morning for me.  His brother Stefaan shared tons of helpful and very useful information with me as well.

Karen Ramstead was also a presenter this weekend and I was thrilled to be able to meet her.  After following her mushing career for quite a few years it was in a small way almost like meeting a mushing 'rock star' to me.  Karen has been an inspiration for me when it comes to dog sledding as a woman in a largely populated male world.
 
Karen is a wonderful speaker and just like Bart her time speaking was way too short.
 
Ruth Sims was the Vet who spoke of dog sledding injuries and dehydration, what to look for and helping the dog with massage.  There was also talk of what a sled dog should weigh and how to determine the perfect body on the dog... information that interested me greatly as we try ever so hard to get Hubba to lose weight.
 
 
Yes, I learned lots this weekend... which I will sum up in my top 10 list....
 
1.  I have a couple chubby (fat) sled dogs who need to lose a few pounds.
 
2.  Long and mid distance mushers are a very laid back group of people. 
 
3.  That I will most likely find open water and jumble ice on the Yukon River when I'm there
 
4.   I'm VERY excited about my adventure in 2014.
 
5.   I do not like driving through Saskatoon... drivers here in this province are way too aggressive.
     
6.  Saskatchewan nights on the prairies are very dark.
 
7.  Never, NEVER camp beside the loading door of Walmart.
 
8.  Tea made over a camp stove tastes the best..
9.   I LOVE my -50 sleeping bag. Especially with the cold clear night here in Prince Albert.
 
 
10.  Winter can't come fast enough for me.

3 comments:

ainnirbard said...

That's so great you made it to a Sled Dog Trade Fair!! They are very informative and I'm sad I'm going to miss the main day at the New England one...

Rochelle Byiers said...

That New England Sled Dog Trade Fair looks amazing.. you are so lucky to live close enough to attend.. there are very few events like that close to us. I was happy to make it to ours, which is so very mini compared to yours.

ainnirbard said...

You'll have to come visit sometime! It is neat. But I'm jealous - you got to meet Karen!!